This is hopefully the last in my series of “trying to buy a new mobile phone.” Recently, I had tremendous difficulty in trying to sync my Outlook 2003 both with my BlackBerry 7100t and then my new SideKick II using the Intellisync software that comes bundled with both devices (though under different names, both are Intellisync). I’m posting my solution here to helpfully help anyone else who has this problem and goes searching for a solution. I figured my blog was as good a place as any to post this as I searched so many different forums, I’m not sure where to return to at this point!
I searched far and wide for a solution to the following error when I tried to setup the initial configuration for sync:
“The file for database name associated with MS Outlook is missing, invalid or points to a file of zero length.” In addition, when I tried to click on the browse button, nothing happened.
Since my BlackBerry worked fine with the sync on Outlook 2000, I knew it has to be an issue with my new laptop and the fact that I upgraded to Outlook 2003. I tried numerous fixes per various suggestions on different forums including re-installation of Intellisync, reinstall as well as repair of Outlook, and delete and reinstall of newer versions of the mapi32.dll all to no avail. Finally, I read somewhere that there could potentially be an issue with Outlook 2003’s version of the PST files and Intellisync. Although if this were true there would be many more people having this issue, I nevertheless decided to start experimenting down this path – create a .pst in an old Outlook format and copy my data over to this new pst file. Before I was able to start that nightmare, I decided to create a new Outlook profile (via Control Panel, Mail) and see what that may do to the situation.
So I created a new profile and added a dummy pst file in the old Outlook format. I then went back into Intellisync and presto, the ORIGINAL profile started working. I didn’t make any other change (such as switching profiles or moving data), but for whatever reason, Intellisync now reads my data.
I’m not sure of the exact reasons why this worked and to be honest at this point I don’t care! Hopefully, this can help someone in the same situation.